Legacy Healing Center Blog
The Connection Between Trauma and Addiction
The link between addiction and trauma is at an alarming rate among many Americans. Most individuals don’t enter into addiction by accident or simply by choice. Often, the use of substances is a way for someone to suppress how they feel or decrease traumatic memories. While the quick fix and relief from the painful flashbacks or memories can feel like an excellent way to cope, it tends to open up a world of new traumas and hardships that weren’t there before. To successfully recover from your addiction and past situations, it is essential to find trauma therapy to help mitigate these issues. Through the comprehensive and specialized addiction treatment methods offered at Legacy Healing Centers, residents of New York have been able to address the pains of the past and learn new tools and strategies to live a happy and sober life.
Trauma Therapies at Legacy Healing Center
Each patient that walks through our doors for addiction treatment has their own unique story and circumstances that brought them to treatment. No one has the same history and traumas, which is why we offer a range of trauma therapies to ensure our patients are provided with an exceptional, evidence-based therapy that will treat their trauma symptoms with the utmost care and respect. Trauma therapies offered within Legacy include:
- Often works well paired with hypnotherapy.
- A talk therapy model where your counselor will help to uncover your underlying motivations for using substances.
- Past experiences and traumas will often be revealed as you are encouraged to speak openly about anything you want. Through the open dialogue, your true motivations and pains will be highlighted.
- Performed under the guidance of a highly trained clinical hypnotherapist.
- It helps bring you to a state of relaxation, which facilitates uncovering your unconscious thoughts and emotions impacting your addiction.
- Once you have been able to tap into your unconscious, you are more likely to tap into the repressed traumas you have pushed down with drugs and alcohol.
Trauma Incident Reduction
- It helps patients remove the harsh, painful effects of traumatic memories by desensitizing the memories.
- A trained clinical counselor will work with you over three sessions lasting 60 to 90 minutes.
- During this time, you will confront a traumatic incident and process it to help you no longer feel negative responses from it.
Rapid Resolution Therapy
- Completed over one to five sessions.
- RRT will work to process disturbing memories that are tied to your traumatic memories or responses.
- Through the use of guided imagery, hypnosis, and motivating communication, you will begin to tap into your traumatic memories of the past that you may have buried within your unconscious mind.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- A therapeutic model that dissects how your thought patterns and behaviors impact one another.
- Works to change your way of thinking and handle traumatic or triggering events through positive responses rather than turning to substances to cope.
- With the support of your therapist, you will discuss a traumatic or problematic incident in your past. From there, you will identify your thoughts, behaviors, and emotions at the moment. Once you identify those, you will learn new, healthy responses you can utilize in similar future situations that will keep you from turning to substances for relief.
Brain Paint and Vibroacoustic Therapy
- An EEG therapy model that heals the brain from the effects of trauma and addiction.
- Using sensors that track your brain patterns, your brain’s responses will light up as you are asked a series of questions to understand your brain functions and processes to help build a customized treatment model that will maintain a level of relaxation of the mind.
- Vibroacoustic therapy gives patients sound waves that provide the brain and body a message to bring them down to a state of relaxation and healing of the body and mind.
- Used to help reframe your inner dialogue with yourself to support your life of recovery and remove the harmful effects of triggers.
- The way we respond to internal communication can lead to the use of substances to cope. NLP helps to reprogram how you react to negative self-talk or traumatic events.
- Through the use of different techniques, you will be able to reshape how you respond to negative triggers or memories and pair them with a positive memory or response. Your trained counselor will provide you with a safe and secure space to process the traumas and help teach you new ways to respond to negative stimuli.
Why New York Residents Choose Legacy for Trauma Therapy and Addiction Treatment
New York City residents choose Legacy Healing Center to address their substance use and trauma for the comprehensive methods available to patients. Legacy Healing offers state-of-the-art techniques that are exclusive to our patients within our centers. Our expert team of counselors is trained in these exceptional, trauma-informed treatment methods that come from a place of caring and respect. We honor patients’ needs and the right to choose the forms of trauma therapy employed and let you be the one to lead your treatment course. Our compassionate team of counselors wants to meet you where you are at and help you heal from the past traumas so you can move forward into a happy, healthy life. Contact us today at 888.534.2295 to learn more about our trauma therapy options for New York City residents.
— Legacy Healing Center (@LegacyHealingC1) November 18, 2021